Adventures in Africa

I am now in South Africa, my new home for the next little while. My last week in Zambia was actually quite a busy week. We had two teams staying at the farm, a kids camp, and Maranatha Celebrations that were all going on at the same time. So it made for a little chaos. I was asked by Prag and Ashley to help run the kids camp alongside of Rita and Gideon because neither Prag nor Ashley would be able to be there due to Marantha Celebrations. The kids that were here for the camp, are from one of the Luanshya communities Maposa. As a result of the team only being 5 people, the number of the kids is less making it only 20 instead of the normal 30. They have been such a joy to have around the farm, always laughing, and smiling, simply enjoying the opportunity for this type of vacation. The team that was running the camp, were incredibly creative with the kinds of activities that they did with the children. From baking bread (story of the feeding of the five thousand), to making t-shirts that each child got to keep, this team never ceased to amaze me with their creative abilities.

This past week also gave  me the opportunity to meet many of the key leaders of Hands at Work, from countries such as Nigeria, DRC, Malawi, Zambia, and South Africa. Many people that volunteer with hands never get the opportunity to meet all these people. What a privilege to meet these wonderful individuals and get the opportunity to learn and celebrate with them for the amazing work that God is doing across Africa in our communities. He is a God that cares and loves and only wants the best for his people. One thing that has stuck me this week, while listening to a couple of the sessions is that God choose ordinary people to do his work, even in the bible. He didnt choose people that were well equiped or that had lots of money. He choose people that were young, old, out of money, sad, lost, had nice jobs  etc. to do his work. When I think of the twelve disciples, it all makes sense. The disciples werent perfect, they didnt have wealth or lands. Quite a few of them were actually fishermen, and one of the disciples would later go on to betray Jesus. Yet he choose them, to follow him and walk with him. He eventually sent them out to preach to the word, and gave them authority to drive out demons, and they obeyed. They obeyed the call that Jesus had given them. I struggle sometimes with the question of why did God pick me, out of everyone in the world that may be better suited to this life, why me? Not once growing up, did I ever think that I would be living in Africa, but God chooses the most unlikely of people to do his work and places a call on their life. I am so grateful and acknowledge the priviledge that it is, that he has called me to do his work. 

After a month in Zambia learning, growing, and building relationships, I am now in South Africa with my new hands family.The trip was a very long drive. After doing that drive, I think that I can do pretty much anything.  We left Luanshya at around 5am Sunday morning and arrived in Lusaka at 10am. Along the way, one of the cars that was being driven lost the clutch. Steven was convinced we could make it to Lusaka, so we continued on our way. However, upon arriving in Lusaka the men realized that it was not a good idea to drive it any further. so they made some calls and found a Toyota dealership that they could take it to where they would work on it in the morning. So Steven and Dan went to find the place while the rest of us waited at a gas station with the broken car. About three hours later, they returned with a rod that would attach both cars to each other, acting as a tow truck. So all of us piled in the cars with Dan behind the wheel of the broken car. We drove through Lusaka like that all the way to the dealership. It was extremely busy because along with the fact that it was a Sunday, there was a major soccer game going on. Zambia versus Sudan. Everywhere you looked people were trying to sell stuff for the game, and everyone was dressed in the Zambian colors. Men, women, child, and grandparents alike. Everyone was so proud to be Zambian. The streets are full, and I mean full of people. Everywhere you look there are people. All that to be said, one small car towing another is not particularly easy, add on the Zambian patriotism and the sheer number of people everywhere and it is complete and utter chaos. We dropped Dan and Betwell off at the dealership and the seven of us piled into the car and headed off. We didn't want all of us to get delayed, so two of the guys volunteered to stay behind. We arrived at the place we were staying at just after 9pm after stopping for dinner in Livingstone - which was delicious by the way- and then all of us went to bed in our tents exhausted. 

Wake up call was at 5am monday morning as we headed off to Botswana. However before we could start driving much, we first had to get through the Zambian and Botswana borders. Which from what I'd heard can have its challenges. We got through relatively smoothly, but then it came time to cross the Zambezi river on the ferry.... which is much different then our ferries back home. The off and on ramp didn’t lie flat on the ground, so getting our little blue car and its trailer provided some difficulties. I heard people standing beside me say that there was no way that we would get it on. Yet we did, so good job to the driver Steven. Despite those challenges we managed to get through the border without to many complications and were then on our way  through Botswana. Botswana is one of the countries in Africa, that doesn’t have closed national parks. The animals just roam wild throughout the country. Throughout the drive, we’ve seen antelope, tons of baboons, a herd of elephants - one of which started to charge the vehicle before we frantically drove away - and giraffes. We also saw tons of donkeys, cows, sheep, and goats littering the side of the road. Almost hit a donkey as well. We honked the horn, but it didn’t move until we were right behind it. Apparently they dont hear very well? All that to be said, the trip was very eventful, and wont be something that I will forget any time soon. 

For the next week, I am just hanging out and then my orientation starts on the 15th. The family that is in the orientation is here already and I have been getting to know them. They are really sweet, and they have taken me under their wing as another child of theirs. Its nice to have so many people looking out for me and making sure that I am okay. Although to be perfectly honest, I am starting to go a little stir crazy. For the last month, I have been hanging out and helping where I can, and now that is what I am doing again for the next week and a half. I am just ready for orientation to start, where I can be busy. However one thing that you could say I'm learning throughout this time, is to be content with just being. Just being around and available to anyone who needs any help. To be okay with not having a set schedule every day and learning to be okay with going with the flow, and the change that goes with that. Its amazing how God can teach us things even in moments of frustration and difficulty, and thats when we learn the most.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Time to Learn

Daring to Hope Part 2

Selfless giving