Beauty of the Cross



It’s been almost two months since I last wrote and a part of me feels like nothing important or crucial has happened, leaving me with nothing to update people on; yet at the same time I feel like much has happened in the spiritual and emotional journey that God has been and is currently taking me on. It has been a season where God has been challenging and helping me to confront the areas in which I struggle but it has subsequently been a season of digging deeper into God’s love and developing a deeper reverence and adoration for God the Father. 

At the beginning of March, the Hands at Work family both in Africa and around the globe joined together for a season of prayer that we call ’40 Days of Prayer’. This is a time for the Hands family to join together as we stand and intercede on behalf of the most vulnerable in Africa. It is a special time as God draws us closer to His heart in this of prayer. 

The last week of ’40 Days of Prayer’ coincides with Holy Week. Holy Week, is week where Christians, for thousands of years have commemorated the Passion of Christ, who died on God Friday in reparation for the sins of mankind, and rose on Easter Sunday to give new life to all who believe. As a Hands family, we met daily to learn, reflect and journey the path that Jesus walked in the week leading up to Good Friday and Easter Sunday. We went deeper into learning about Peter (disciple of Jesus who denied Him three times), Mary (the mother of Jesus) and Mary Magdeline. On Thursday morning, we met in the chapel for a time of communion and feet washing. Although the idea of washing other peoples feet may seem awkward, it is simply following the words that came from Jesus in John 13: 14 - 15 when He said - “Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”  Later that evening, we celebrated the Passover which was beautiful. It was amazing to be reminded of how God has rescued and redeemed his people and that this will never stop as God will continue to rescue and redeem us

Good Friday was a day of grief and sorrow where we remembered the sacrifice that our Saviour paid when He was nailed to the cross; taking the burden of sin for mankind. The family met in the chapel to reflect on where God has taken us; confessing the sins and the burdens that we need to surrender. After that we took a rock (this represented the thing that we were letting go of) and buried it at the foot of the cross (we have a physical representation of the cross) surrendering it to the one who came to save and redeem. 

This week was leading to the best day in history. The day where our Saviour, who had died and was lying in the tomb of darkness, beat death and came out victorious. He crushed the enemy, allowing His children to live in freedom with Him forever and ever AMEN! We celebrated Easter Sunday by arising at the break of dawn, spending time in reflection and then watching the sunrise; which symbolises the new light and life that we have in Christ. I am eternally thankful for love of Christ and that we get to spend eternity with Him! 

Aside from all of that, I am doing good. I am busy on the communications team - it is reporting season - and I love life. Although I have been missing my family a lot, I know that God has a plan and that I will see them in a 7 months. Yes I am coming home for Christmas! Additionally, I have been more grateful than ever for the beauty of Skype which allows communication between people that are thousands of miles apart. 

In addition to this, i wanted to share a bit about my actual life - where I live and what my day to day looks like. I stay in White River, South Africa at the HUB which is a property where all of our international volunteers live together. I share a room with a lady from the US and a lady from Johannesburg, South Africa. It is a little bit tight but we make it work and get along great. They are fabulous roommates. On Monday (prayer meeting), Tuesday (ladies prayer), Wednesday (small groups) and Friday (varies) we have meetings where we dig deeper into God's word, pray together and spend time in fellowship. On a daily basis, I am in the office working with communications - primarily focusing on the content for social media. I try and make an effort to get out into community every 2 - 3 weeks to stay connected with the work that is happening in the communities.  

If you would like to contact me and know more, please feel free to message me on Facebook and I would be happy to give you my email address! I would love to connect! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Time to Learn

Daring to Hope Part 2

Selfless giving