Post-Christmas Update


As many people know, I had the privilege of being back in Canada over the Christmas holidays to spend time with my family and friends which was amazing. It was busy but beautiful to reconnect with friends and family.   I think that an overwhelming theme of my time in Canada was thankfulness. Throughout my four weeks home, I felt an immense sense of thankfulness for my friends and family but especially my parents and the way that they have supported my desire to move to Africa. Despite their best attempts to hide it, I know that it hasn't been easy to have their first born daughter living across the world regardless of how much they support Hands at Work and what I'm doing. I will be eternally grateful for the values that they have instilled in me and the way in which they have encouraged me to follows God call on my life even if that calling led me away from them. On a humorous note - I think I forgot how cold it was in Canada because even when it is slightly raining in South Africa, the plaid, flannel shirt goes on with jeans despite the 20 degree weather (which apparently is the new cold). 

When I arrived back home in South Africa, it was watchword week which is a time where the co-founder George, shares with the Hands family a guiding scripture for the year. This scripture is a promise, a challenge, an inspiration, an encouragement and an opportunity to invite God to lead us throughout this year, expectant for what He will do in and through us. It was amazing to have people from Malawi, Zimbabwe, Swaziland and Mozambique come and join us for this concentrated period of time; having opportunities to reconnect and spend time with people that we don’t see on a regular basis. I think that this watchword will be challenging especially coming from a culture and worldview that seems to be going in the opposite direction of Jesus. It forces me to confront the areas of my life that I try to hold back from God because I think that somehow I know infinity better than the creator of the world. It requires me to think about how easy is it for me to allow distractions and other things to slip in even though I know that the only way to true life is through Jesus. Its challenging yet I'm excited (and nervous) to see what God is going to do in and though me this year - the way that He will shape me, challenge me and draw me closer to Him.

I have a few prayer requests as I head into 2018: 

Please pray that I will be attentive to God's voice drawing me closer into understanding more of who He is and His heart for the most vulnerable. Pray that I will learn what it means to fully surrender to my Heavenly Father and fully trust in His promises and hope of redemption. Pray for God to continue breaking my heart for the most vulnerable but at the same time reminding me of his everlasting hope and love despite when the situations are seemingly hopeless.


If you want to know more information please feel free to contact me!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Time to Learn

Daring to Hope Part 2

Selfless giving