Christmas in Africa

I lost my phone on a taxi and got it back all within five hours. I was sitting in a Primary Care-Givers meeting when I decided that I needed something from my bag. I looked around trying to find my phone and to my utter horror, I couldn't find it. That feeling is the absolute worst. When you realize that the object you are looking for actually is gone and you can't get it back. I started to panic. Thankfully I was with one of the ladies from the service centre Margret* and so she took me outside to help me think things through. She tried to get me to remember where I had last had it, so that she could possibly try and call the taxi driver. After about twenty minutes, I remembered taking a picture of a broken door in one of the taxis. That must have been where I left it. So Margret* called around and finally got ahold of the taxi driver. He said that he hadn't seen it but would continue to look. Margret* was calm throughout the whole ordeal saying that if she has pain in her chest something won't work out, but if she doesn't then its fine. She said she had no pain and that she was sure that we would find it. I was doubtful about her theory but continued to trust and pray. I settled in and started to talk to some of the children that were starting to arrive. About an hour later Margret* got the call that they had my phone in the taxi rink Thulamahase. I was stunned, shocked, and amazed that my phone was found. I didn't expect that it would be found. The care workers celebrated with me as they knew that I had been worried about it. On our way back we went to collect the phone. I paid about 30rand which is 3 dollars Canadian to get the phone back and that was that. I had my phone back. 

For individuals that have spent any amount of time in Africa they would know that if you lose your phone on a taxi it is almost certain that you won't get it back. Either someone takes it or its just never found. I can't still hardly believe that I got it back. WOW!!! For people that know me well, they would know that this is a normal and regular occurrence that I lose or forget stuff. If my head wasn't not attached to my body it would be gone by now. I lose things all the time and this is just one of thousands of examples. 

Aside from losing and then finding my phone and having a minor panic attack I have not had many other crazy incidents like that one. I have been spending lots of time in community which I love. I am so thankful for our kids and the love and joy that they have in their hearts. I was in Mandlesive on Tuesday and got to spend about an hour and a half just me with a bunch of kids. We played games and I told them stories. It was fun to just sit and laugh and play with them. I can't believe how blessed I am. That I get to sit and walk with some of the most vulnerable children in Africa. I'm privileged that I get to love them. We played a hand game where if the other persons hand landed on you then you had to kiss someone in the circle on the cheek. They thought that it was very funny that I played. They were all a little nervous to kiss my cheek though and so no one did except for one girl. It was so special. I haven't spent lots of time in Mandlesive and so it was a nice chance to get to know many of the kids better. 

On Wednesday I was in Siyathuthuka, where we had a relationship group with a few of the care workers. Relationship groups are a chance for the care workers to come together and share how they are doing. Many of the care workers have inner wounds that nobody else knows about, and so its a great opportunity for them to share whats going on in their life, so that the other care workers can know and be a source of encouragement to them. We had to leave before most of the kids got there, and I was bit disappointed by that, but we wanted to go visit one of our kids that was in the hospital, Nombonthle*. She has a bad infection on her hand and it had sores all over. Let me just get one thing clear. I do not like hospitals at the best of times. Let alone an African hospital, where they have a weird smell and its just not as sanitary as hospitals back home. I get feeling sick and I do not enjoy them, which I did not get from my mom because she absolutely loves them. How she can stand them all day I will never know, but I respect her for her desire to help others in that way. Anyways, I was able to stay in the room for about 15 minutes and then I had to leave, especially after I saw the lady across the room with the pole in her leg. That just about did it. Yet it was good to spend time with Nombonthle* and let her know that we are caring for her and praying for her. We prayed for her and some of the other ladies in the room before we left. I think several of the other ladies were touched as I saw some wiping tears from their eyes. It was a special time that we got to spend with one of our kids in her time of need. Despite my dislike of hospitals, I felt privileged that we got to go and visit Nombonthle*. We brought to the hospital with us Innocent* and her daughter Precious*. Innocent* is only 15 years old and her daughter is turning a year in a few days. This made me so sad. Innocent* is still a child herself. That would be like my sister Alexa having a daughter thats just about to turn 1. I can't even imagine that. 

I have been feeling lonely lately. Despite the fact that the Rebros and Daniel are back, it is still lonely. The Rebros have moved up to their own house, and so its just me, Chris, and Daniel left in the village. I miss having girl company my age around. I don't mind being the only girl, but I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to be around another girl my age. Im ready to be able to talk about girl stuff and not always about what the boys like and what they find amusing. I've also been missing my family quite a bit lately, especially with the Christmas season upon us. When you are in 40 degree weather and you are used to the cold it doesn't really feel like Christmas. I miss baking days, Christmas movie nights, sleeping under the Christmas tree as a family, and all the rest of our Christmas traditions. When I Skype with them and see them together, it makes me want to see them and be able to hug them. Don't get me wrong, I love my life. I love being here, but its been tough lately. What I would love would be to give them a hug and then come back.  But heh, no one ever said that it would be easy, otherwise everyone could do what we're doing. It wouldn't be purely based on Gods calling anymore, would it? I know that this is where I am supposed to be and that I will have an amazing Christmas in the UK, despite the fact that at times I wish I could see my family and spend Christmas with them. It will be a new type of Christmas and an adventure that I will never forget. Merry Christmas!!!

Remember the season that is upon us and the reason for the season and the celebration!!! Take time to spend time with your families and remember  how God gave his son to us to be the Saviour of the world. 

"While they were there, the time came for the baby, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them. " Luke 2: 6-7 * for the rest of the story go to Luke. 

Please pray for our kids during this time, as it can be a difficult time as Hands is closed for 3 weeks. Pray that they would be safe and not fall into the devils trap as some kids can turn to things that are not healthy with school closed as well. Also pray for the care workers. That it would be a time of rest and relaxation in preparation for the year to come. And lastly pray for the Hands volunteers. That it would also be a time of rest and relaxation as we prepare for our hearts and minds for whats to come in the new year. 

Below are some pictures that I have taken over the last few weeks!! Enjoy!!! 





 we have the same name <3 




Kids in the community of Share 




* names have been changed to protect the identity of the individual 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Time to Learn

Daring to Hope Part 2

Selfless giving