Moving Forward

I wanted to update everybody on my plans for the future and I thought that rather than re-explain what I have already written down, I thought that I would share a letter that I have written to share with my friends and family about my upcoming plans: 

Hello Family and Friends,  
My journey in Africa started in the summer of 2012 with my family when we went on a short-term missions trip with a team from our church to South Africa. It was there  where we first got introduced to the calling of Hands at Work. In 2013, I had a second opportunity to return to Africa with Hands at Work with a team from my school and I fell even more in love with the people and the culture. It was at that point that I decided I wanted to commit to Hands at Work longer. In August 2014 I returned with my family, this time to Zambia. And when they went home, I stayed on, serving over the next year mostly in communications (writing reports and sharing stories from those living in the communities in which we serve). When I came back to Canada in August 2015, everything about my life had shifted. The things that I had once thought were important to me, seemed less so. As time has gone on, I have felt extremely uncomfortable with my easy life in Canada. I knew that I wanted to live my life sacrificially on behalf of Christ and the most vulnerable, but I didn’t know what God was calling me to. At the end of April, I decided to leave school, as I didn’t feel that this was where God was calling me; I didn’t feel peace about the place I was in. In July 2016, I returned to Africa with a seeking and willing heart to do whatever and go wherever God wanted me. During those 7 weeks and through numerous confirmations, I have come to believe that God is calling me to return to Africa as a long-term missionary for as long as God calls me to be there.  

While my job with Hands will be determined when I arrive in Africa in January, some of the possible roles include being on the communications team, working in hospitality, hosting teams, and much more.  When I was in Africa in 2014-2015 I worked on the Communications team and I have continued in that role with the Hands Canada office since returning home.  I am excited to see where He continues to take me on this journey. I look forward to seeing the ways in which God will grow and stretch me, continuing to shape me on this crazy journey that we call life. I feel blessed that God has called me to live this life of servanthood. Despite my excitement and readiness for this next step in my life, I recognize and appreciate the sacrifice that this step takes, not only for myself, but for my family and friends as they allow me to follow this call that God has placed on my life. I know that taking this step will be scary – I would be more worried if it wasn’t – and I realize that this journey will not be an easy one, but I feel more ready than ever to take this step of faith and leap into the unknown. 

Hands at Work is a Christian non-profit organization where the focus is on working in the most poor and vulnerable communities that are stricken with HIV/AIDS. We value local-community ownership, so in each village we identify and partner with Christians already caring for the orphaned and vulnerable. We mobilize a team of local churches and volunteers around them to more effectively and sustainably reach the poorest children. We then disciple, mentor and support those teams within a long-term relationship. We also partner with churches and organizations around the world to support the work in Africa and challenge our partners to be transformed themselves in the process. 

Please find attached a prayer card with this letter for you and your family. As I prepare for this journey, I would ask that you stand with me in prayer for the months to come as I embark on obtaining my visa, ensuring that my vaccinations are up to date, booking flights and the list continues. These months will be quite busy as I am working full-time as a nanny while getting everything ready to return to Africa in January. As I return to Africa as a long-term missionary, I will be relying fully on support. The support that I require while in Africa is approximately $900-$1000 a month. These finances go towards my food, accommodation, transport and general living expenses while in Africa. If you feel that God is calling and asking you to support me financially then there is a giving form attached to this letter. Any amount of one-time donations are amazing but it is extremely helpful to have monthly donations, which create stability and a sense of ease for myself – knowing that everything is taken care of. However if you feel that God is not calling you to give financially then I would also ask that you support me prayerfully. I would love to hear from you over the next months and years with messages of love, encouragement and updates on your lives back home in North America. 
A few prayer points 
  • I head to Toronto in a few weeks to get my visa – pray that this goes smoothly and without any problems – that I come home with my visa
  • Pray that I receive the financial support needed to live in Africa 
  • Pray that God would continue to prepare my heart to live a sacrificial life as I serve the most vulnerable people in Africa and strive to live a more Kingdom Culture filled life. 
Thank you for your prayers and support as I embark on this exciting journey! xoxo 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Time to Learn

Selfless giving

Daring to Hope Part 2