We are chosen


"Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his." - Psalm 100:3 

This evening, I had the opportunity to Skype with my family.. all of my big family. It was nice to see them and to know that I am missed and that I am loved dearly. I got to see relatives that I haven't seen in months and that was really awesome. I also had the chance to see Esme - my two year old cousin. That girl is the most beautiful little girl, and she made my day. When I told her that I loved her, she replied with a simple I love you. She has not forgotten me, she will not forget me, instead of that.. she was asking for me. I hope and pray that she grows up knowing Christ and knowing that she has the power to do anything in her life. That with God by her side and with him calling the shots, she can become the woman that God will mould her to be. What a precious child that God has created. Her smile just makes my heart melt. Lastly, I got to see my parents. Throughout the years, I have had extreme difficulty getting along with my mom in particular. The conflict and our strong willed natures, caused us to butt-heads quite frequently. However I believe that the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is so true. I feel as though my mom and I are discovering a new relationship. One that is based on love and respect, and a desire to know whats going on in each others lives. I feel joy because we are becoming friends rather than just having a purely mother and daughter relationship. Mom, I love you, I respect you, I admire you, and I'm thankful that God gave me to you as your daughter and then I am blessed enough to have you as my mom.

It is strange that I already feel peace about being here. I know that this is where I am supposed to be during this season of my life. Last night, a few of us drove down to Sisters (will be explained later) to welcome the crew from South Africa. We drove in the bukky (which in Africa is a pick-up truck :() under the stars. We all sat in the back of the pick-up except for two. It was so fun driving down the bumpy African road under the beautiful stars that God has created. Every time that I look at Gods creation I am amazed at all that he created. How creative he is and that everything is so different and unique. To be perfectly honest, I can't imagine going back home to Canada right now. I'm sure that when it gets closer I will start to feel more of that desire to be back home, but for now this is where I am supposed to be and who knows? Maybe this is where God is calling me to be for longer. Yes some days are harder then others, and some days I wish that my dad were here so that he could give me one of his big bear hugs. However despite that, I am so thankful for this opportunity that God has given me. Some days I wonder why? Why did he choose me but then I think back to the verse in John 15:16 that says "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed me so that you might go and bear fruit- fruit that will last- and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you." How wonderful is it to know that he chose me. Growing up I was always an anxious child, and didn't like the idea of change. Never did I think that I would be living in Africa. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would be challenged in this way by God. That he would call my faith to the test and ask me to step out on the water and trust him with all that I have. I consider it a privilege that God has asked this of me. I don't deserve anything, but he blesses us when we are obedient and follow the call that he has placed on our lives.

This past week at Hands we have been getting ready for the Maranatha Celebrations that are taking place this coming week. Throughout the year, Hands at Work does workshops for the care workers in each of the communities that we support across Africa. These workshops are a chance for us to focus on the care workers and the work that they are doing for the children that they support. So the Maranatha Celebrations are a chance for us to come together from around Africa in the eight countries that we work out of, and discuss what happened in these workshops. A chance to hear from the main leaders what was discussed, and what were some of the results. It is also a chance for us to discuss, how to move forward? Where do we go from here. Throughout the week the individuals that work in the service centre will hear from many of Hands at Work's key leaders including George Synman (co-founder), Levy (RST leader in Zambia, Blessings, James, and many more. It is also a time of celebration. Celebrating the work that God is doing across Africa. That without him, we would be nowhere. The word Marantha in translation means "Come Lord Jesus Come."  The place where all this is taking place is about 2km down the road from the Hands farm at a farm called Sisters. Friday morning we did a pray walk, where all the hands family that are in Zambia gathered together to walk down to Sisters and pray, worship and give Sisters to God. It was a time of reflection as we contemplate what God is going to do in this coming week. We say "Come Lord Jesus Come" because without him, none of the work that Hands does would be at all possible.

For the past two days, folks having been arriving from seven of the eight countries that we work out of. The crew from South Africa arrived last night, and it was awesome to see some familiar faces from when I was there two years ago and also seeing new faces. It was also overwhelming, because these are the people that I will be spending the next year with. These are my new family. Psalm 133:1 says "How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity!" We are together constantly, and although that scares me at times, that I will be around people more then I am used to and pushed out of my comfort zone, I am excited and I anticipate all that God is going to do.

Yesterday, I was in community for the first time since my team left. I went with the Forge team, to a community called Maposa. What a beautiful community. The care workers are so amazing and even though I had only just met them, they all gave me big hugs when I left. While we were there, I got something in my eye, and I had a hard time seeing out of my right eye for about three hours. It sounds extremely funny and a typical thing to happen to me but at the time it was painful. Gideon, one of the guys that works with hands was concerned and so he came over and was looking in my eye and then when one of the care workers noticed, she came over to have a look at it. She opened my eye, and next thing I know, she is blowing in it as hard as she can. I think that only made things worse, but she cared and was trying to help so that was what mattered. That little incident just reminded me that despite everything that these care workers don't have, they still gave of themselves to try and help me. I didn't even have to ask. The care worker that was blowing in my eye was Medium (I think that was her name, can never be too sure :P ) just got up and came over to look. They are such selfless men and women of God. I know that I say that often, but they are just so amazing and I love them all so much.

The team that I went along with wanted to bless the care workers and so they decided to wash the care workers feet, rub lotion on their feet, and then paint their toenails. As they were doing this one of the care workers only took off one shoe. I mentioned this to Gideon and he said that there was something on his foot. That he had cancer. I figure that it probably isn't cancer, because it sounds more like his foot is rotting. They give it the name cancer because they don't know what else to call it. This breaks my heart. Most likely he wont be able to get treatment for it, because its so expensive, and he will live with this the rest of his life. However what amazes me and makes me admire the work that they are doing even more is that this doesn't stop him. He is still out there every day, caring for the children and going to visit them in their homes. In North America, whenever something is bothering us, we either take time of work or just sit at a desk and do the paper work rather then getting out on the field (if this is the kind of job we have). Instead these men and women walk numerous hours a day to serve these children. The home that we visited yesterday, was only an 45 minute walk. Sometimes the homes that they visit are a two hour walk - one way- and they do it despite everything. Despite having a rotting foot, he gets out there to serve God and these children in a way that in North America we cant even imagine. Giving to the poor is what God commands of us. Deuteronomy 15:11 says "There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and towards the poor and needy in your land."  These care workers are being obedient to the call that God has given. Despite the fact that they have nothing, they are still giving to those that are more vulnerable - the children. What love and respect I have for these care workers. Nelson Mandela once said "Overcoming poverty is not a task of charity, it is an act of justice. Like Slavery and Apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings. Sometimes it falls on a generation to be great. YOU can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom." With Hands at work they are trying to change and make a difference despite personal pain that they may have gone through.

I love it here in Africa, and consider it a privilege that God chose me to come and serve the people of Africa. It still amazes me at the amount of poverty that exists and sometimes I wonder if I am really making a difference but then I read this quote by an amazing women of God. This is a quote that was written by Katie Davis. She felt the call to go to Uganda and she went with a willing heart and an open mind. "Sometimes working in a third world country makes me feel like I am emptying the ocean with an eyedropper. However, I have learned to be okay with this feeling, that I will not change the world. Jesus will do that. I can however change the world for one person. And if one person sees the love of Christ in me, it is worth every minute." - Katie Davis (from the book Kisses from Katie). I feel like this sometimes but I have to remember that we (Hands at Work) are making a difference, one child, one home, one community, one country at a time. If one child feels loved, worthy, special, and adored then we have done the work of God.























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Time to Learn

Daring to Hope Part 2

Selfless giving